Vic woman left traumatised by rape, kidnap

By AAP Newswire

A Victorian soup kitchen volunteer may never fully recover after she was kidnapped, raped and left tied up in a motel wardrobe by a man she had offered to help.

But the defiant woman has vowed to press on from the three-day ordeal as best she can, for her own sake and that of her children.

Her attacker Darin Wheeldon, 42, was living in a granny flat at her Melbourne home when he abducted her in July 2011.

"You came looking for help. For a fresh start," the woman told the County Court on Wednesday.

"Little did I know your intentions were not to change but to prey on me."

She met Wheeldon at a soup kitchen and offered him a spare room in her home out of kindness.

But he tied her up, whipped her and raped her before bundling her into a car and setting off for rural NSW.

He drove 600km to the town of Young, stopping at a caravan park for a night on the way.

The woman was paralysed with fear and repeatedly forced to perform sex acts throughout the ordeal.

"I felt defiled, violated and helpless," she said in her victim impact statement during Wheeldon's pre-sentence hearing.

She now suffers post-traumatic stress, anxiety attacks, nightmares, paranoia, adrenal fatigue and other difficulties.

But she said her spirit remains unbroken.

"I will never forget the pain and hurt you caused me," she said.

"But I forgive you for my own sake, so I can move on.

"I pray I will never see you again, and I will build my life back to what it was."

Wheeldon checked into a motel room in Young where he left the woman tied up in a wardrobe before driving away.

She managed to loosen the duct tape and escape, calling for help from motel staff.

Wheeldon crashed on a highway near Lithgow, about 200km away from Young, and was arrested.

The victim broke down in tears throughout her heart-wrenching victim impact statement on Wednesday.

"Thank you for your statement, which you read with great courage and dignity," Judge Lisa Hannan said.

The victim endured a two-week trial in Sydney where she says Wheeldon told "evil" lies before he was found guilty by a jury of every charge.

Wheeldon was jailed for 11 years for the crimes in NSW and he stands to have more time added for those committed in Victoria.

He pleaded guilty to multiple counts of rape as well as false imprisonment, intentionally causing injury and theft.

Wheeldon will return to court for a further pre-sentence hearing on June 27 and will be sentenced at a later date.